How to repair hard drive on windows 10
Repairing a hard drive on Windows 10 can be a complex process, and it’s essential to approach it carefully to avoid data loss. Here are the steps to repair a hard drive in Windows 10:
Step 1: Backup Your Data
Before attempting any repairs, it’s crucial to back up your data. If your hard drive is failing, there’s a risk of losing data during the repair process. You can back up your data using an external hard drive, cloud storage, or a backup software tool.
Step 2: Check for Disk Errors
Windows 10 includes a built-in utility called “Check Disk” (chkdsk) that can scan and repair disk errors. Here’s how to use it:
- Open the Command Prompt with administrative privileges:
- Press Windows + X, then select “Windows Terminal (Admin)” or “Command Prompt (Admin).”
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and press Enter:
chkdsk C: /f
Replace “C:” with the drive letter of the hard drive you want to repair. The /f parameter tells chkdsk to fix errors it finds.
- You’ll likely receive a message saying that chkdsk can’t run because the drive is in use and ask if you want to schedule it for the next restart. Type ‘Y’ and press Enter.
- Restart your computer, and chkdsk will run before Windows starts. This process may take some time depending on the drive’s size and the number of errors it needs to fix.
Step 3: Use Windows Error Checking Tool
In addition to chkdsk, Windows 10 has a graphical tool for checking and repairing disk errors:
- Open File Explorer (Windows key + E).
- Right-click the drive you want to check and select “Properties.”
- Go to the “Tools” tab.
- Under “Error checking,” click “Check.”
- If prompted, select “Scan drive” to check for errors.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to repair any errors found.
Step 4: Use Third-Party Disk Repair Software
If the built-in Windows tools don’t resolve your hard drive issues, you can consider using third-party disk repair software like “CrystalDiskInfo,” “HDDScan,” or “HD Tune.” These tools often provide more advanced diagnostics and repair options.
Here’s how to use a third-party tool (using CrystalDiskInfo as an example):
- Download and install the third-party disk repair software of your choice.
- Open the software and select the hard drive you want to repair.
- Follow the software’s instructions to initiate a scan or repair process.
- Depending on the software, you may have options to repair bad sectors or perform other advanced disk recovery tasks.
Step 5: Replace the Hard Drive (if necessary)
If your hard drive continues to have issues despite repair attempts, it may be physically damaged or failing. In such cases, it’s advisable to replace the hard drive with a new one to prevent data loss and system instability.
Remember that repairing a hard drive may not always be successful, and there’s always a risk of data loss. Regularly backing up your important data is the best way to protect against unexpected hard drive failures.
Hard Drive Repair Tools in 2023
Here are hard drive repair tools
- Description: CrystalDiskInfo is a popular utility that provides detailed information about your hard drive’s health and performance. It monitors and reports the S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) data of your drive.
- Website: https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/
- Description: HDDScan is a free utility that allows you to test, diagnose, and repair hard drive problems. It includes features like surface tests, S.M.A.R.T. attribute viewing, and more.
- Website: http://hddscan.com/
- Description: HD Tune is a comprehensive hard drive utility that offers features such as benchmarking, error scanning, health monitoring, and error checking. It’s useful for checking and repairing disk issues.
- Website: http://www.hdtune.com/
- Description: Victoria HDD is a free hard drive diagnostic tool that provides in-depth information about your drive’s health and performance. It can also perform various diagnostic tests.
- Website: https://hdd.by/en/
SeaTools (by Seagate):
- Description: SeaTools is a diagnostic tool offered by Seagate, but it works with most hard drives, not just Seagate ones. It can perform drive tests and repair common drive problems.
- Website: https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics:
- Description: This tool is specifically designed for Western Digital hard drives and SSDs. It can diagnose and repair issues with WD drives, including the My Passport and My Book series.
- Website: https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3
CHKDSK (Check Disk – Windows Built-in Tool):
- Description: CHKDSK is a Windows built-in command-line utility that checks for and repairs file system and disk errors. It can be run from the Command Prompt with various parameters.
- Usage: Open Command Prompt with administrative privileges and run chkdsk /f for a thorough scan and repair.
- Description: SpinRite is a paid hard drive maintenance and recovery tool known for its effectiveness in repairing and recovering data from damaged drives. It’s considered a powerful but advanced tool.
- Website: https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
- Description: R-Studio is a comprehensive data recovery software that can also be used for diagnosing and repairing hard drive issues. It supports various file systems and advanced data recovery options.
- Website: https://www.r-studio.com/
- Description: TestDisk is an open-source tool primarily used for data recovery but can also be used to repair partition table and boot sector issues. It’s a command-line utility with powerful capabilities.
- Website: https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
When using any hard drive repair or diagnostic tool, it’s essential to follow the instructions carefully and take appropriate precautions to avoid data loss.
Also read:Transfer photos from iPhone to Android